I ultimately chose to create another blog specifically for my trip to India because I didn't want my parents to wander onto this one. I was worried some of my old entries would offend them, or even hurt them. It was also a difficult decision to include them in my updates. I don't think I'm ashamed of my faith. I don't want them to make assumptions about some of me based on what I write on a blog. I think they have a lot of questions for me, but they do not ask. I'm tired of censoring my life for them. I want my parents to ask me questions and if/when they do, I pray that God will be the one speaking through me because I will fail miserably without Him. I ended up including my parents in my updates, and though they were few, certain topics that I've touched on had been sensitive topics that have caused tension between my parents (esp. padre) and me.
Throughout my trip, I had thought about how to describe my experience to my parents. I didn't get very far with thinking through what I wanted to say. I decided that I wouldn't say anything more than answer any questions my parents had. I return home to few questions and these were questions I was asked over and over again by many.
"Did you eat a lot of curry?" "Was it poor over there?" - I confess. Immediately, I felt really defensive and thought these were ignorant questions. But I guess these would qualify as legitimate questions for those who've only been exposed by such stereotypes and it's not the failure of the individual, but more failure of the American education system.
I do not know if I should have, in Jessy's words, "sat down my family" and tell them about my experience. I guess I can still do that. At the moment, I see no need to, my parents no longer seem interested, they're just happy I'm home. I just don't want them to think that I had "gotten it out of my system" and that I will always be in NY. This is me, again, trying to evaluate how my actions could affect my parent's view on Christianity, which is not necessarily bad, but it's something I could see being a hindrance to my own faith.
I've strayed away a bit from the original purpose of this post, which was more to serve as a cautionary notice for my parents, and I guess those who might be able to relate to them. These words and the words I've written in the past are/were my honest thoughts and feelings on life and they may/may not have changed. I do not like people making assumptions about me and I think I'm an approachable person, so why take these words out of context and ask my myself? (this last paragraph sounds really lame)
you're back!
ReplyDeletethis was an interesting entry. but now i'm confused. did you double post the trip?
some personal thoughts--it seems that non-communication weighs most on your relationship with your parents. Even though my parents are both Christians, it's difficult for me also to talk to them. A little while ago my pastor suggested I have a purposeful conversation to put some difficult things in the open. I think I need to do it, but it's an odd feeling--it's a mix of "shouldn't my parents be doing this?" and "oh my gosh what happens if this bombs?"
as for the last paragraph...
maybe you should hire an editor, or better yet, get someone to write your essays for you. :)